Saturday, December 3, 2011

O Come!

I have always sensed great beauty in austerity: the paintings of Andrew Wyeth, the Belgian fog, the stark vast flint hills of Kansas, medieval chants. These stunning landscapes of solitude have called my heart into mystery all my life. In austerity, the clutter and noise of business fades away, leaving only what is essential; as if all of time is poised in quietude's vast open arms, waiting for my soul to enter.
“O Come!” the silence whispers. “Be. Here. Now. Stop. Listen.”

There is a universe in this one silent, open instant. “O Come!”

Ransom my mind from captivity in the business and distraction of time! Hear my bounded heart, crying for the True! You, O Silence, are a balm for my bloodied shackled body. I am exiled in the turbulence of Chronos, choking on each breath, missing moment after moment in which austerity peeks from behind “ the shroud that is over all the peoples, the woven covering that is over all the nations” (Is 25:7) and invites me to that sacred slice of Kairos.

"Be still! Be. Still. In the simple,  the timeless hospitality of austerity I am gathered into the unbounded arms of God with Us, Emmanuel, transcendent Christ, and held  transfigured into timelessness itself.

“O Come!” The Beloved waits.

“Keep watch!” The owner of the house stands waiting at the door. Do not let him find you sleeping!

Oh, come, oh, come, Emmanuel,
And ransom captive Israel,
That mourns in lonely exile here
Until the Son of God appear.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to you, O Israel!

May the open arms of austerity, the calm peace of solitude, beckon to your soul - Be Still! May you realize your abundance in simplicity. May the voice of the Beloved whisper softly to your heart, "O Come. Come into my love, my peace, my joy. Listen! I am waiting, always waiting just for you."

Advent Blessings, Peggy

austere -plain, simple, stark, sparse 

1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful Peggy.

    You are such a blessing to our human race and to the plane.

    ReplyDelete